St Michael’s Catholic Primary School Daceyville founded
On 17 May 1914, it was announced that a new school would open in Daceyville, now called St Michael’s Catholic Primary Daceyville. The school was staffed by the Daughters of Our Lady of the Sacred Heart and joined the newly formed St Michael’s Daceyville Parish in 1924. From 2006, the lay leadership of the school has been appointed by Sydney Catholic Schools. Today the school continues the ministry of Jesus through the charism and traditions given to us by the Daughters of Our Lady of the Sacred Heart. Read More
Our Lady of the Sacred Heart College Kensington opened in July, 1913 by Our Lady of the Sacred Heart Sisters. The school, however, began when the first section of the new convent was completed in 1897. A small combined primary and secondary college was conducted in the convent premises. Due to a growth in the number of students it led to the construction of a new college building in 1913 where Brendan Wing now stands. 1927 was the last year for the enrolment of boys at the college and it is now a systemic school for Year 7–12 girls. Read More
The school began in 1912 in a church-school belonging to the parish of Camperdown. The parish priest at the time arranged for the Sisters of Mercy to staff the school. The Sisters would travel each day from their convent in Darlington to educate the children at the school. Today the traditional charisms of the Sisters of Mercy; compassion, courage, respect and hospitality are evident in the school’s daily life. Read More
St Francis Xavier’s was opened in December of 1911 and was part of the parish of Kogarah. The school was initially staffed by the Sisters of St Joseph. Now the school is part of the parish of Rockdale. Today, it is a growing Kindergarten to Year 6 primary school with new and refurbished buildings from 2020. Read More
Michael Kelly was born at Waterford, Ireland on 13 February 1850. He was ordained on 1 November 1872. He became Archbishop on 16 August 1911 on the death of Cardinal Moran. He was named Bishop Assistant at the Papal Throne and Count of the Holy Roman Empire on 25 June 1926. Archbishop Kelly died on 8 March 1940. Read More
Domremy College was established in 1911 by the Presentation Sisters (Wagga Wagga Congregation). The Presentation Sisters named the convent “Domremy” in memory of the birthplace of St Joan of Arc. In 1911, the convent was established as a high school for girls and soon after primary classes for boys and girls were established. Domremy now remains a Year 7–12 school for girls. Read More
Sisters of Charity were asked by Fr P J Baugh to begin a school in Haberfield in 1910. A year later, the Presentation Sisters took over the school as they had founded another school close by. The school takes its strength from the inspiration of two remarkable women in history, St Joan of Arc and Nano Nagle. Read More
In December 1908, construction of the school began with the Marist Brothers helped by Fr O’Driscoll. The school was blessed by Cardinal Moran and on Monday 8 February 1909 the primary school opened its doors to 100 students. This was the only Catholic boys school in NSW south-west of the city. The first staff consisted of Brothers Gonzaga, (Principal), Eusebius and Marcellus. In December 1993 the Marist Brothers announced their withdrawal from the administration of the school; after this time there would be no teaching Brothers at Kogarah. Today the College is committed to developing strong partnerships with all stakeholders to support our students in becoming successful learners, confident and creative individuals and active and informed citizens.
Christian Brothers Burwood was blessed on 29 August 1909 by Cardinal Moran and the first three classrooms were ready for opening in January 1910. The college began as a primary school and in 1917 the government registered the school as a secondary school. The school continued until closing in 2010, its centenary year. The school converted to a Year 11 and 12 school called Southern Cross Vocational Catholic College for students to combine studies for senior school qualifications with higher level national qualifications at Certificate II and III level.
During the early 1900’s, the Marist Fathers of Sydney were negotiating with the Mother General of the Marist Sisters from France about establishing a foundation in Sydney. In 1908, Mother Melanie established the first community of Marist Sisters in Hunters Hill. The sisters purchased a two-storey house from the Usher family overlooking Lane Cove River to represent a touch of France. It was classed early on as a Superior School for Young Ladies and was known as Mount St Mary’s. 2010 saw the end of an era, after 26 years as Principal, Sr Fidelis McTeigue SM retired and the College appointed Mrs Christina Trimble as its first lay Principal. The College continues to be a vibrant educational Catholic community offering girls a broad range of curricular and extracurricular opportunities in the Marist tradition. Read More
Fr O’Driscoll built St Declan’s Church school in 1907. The school began with help from the Sisters of Charity. The sisters would come to work by horse and carriage and later travelled by train. The school started with 78 pupils. In 1914 the Sisters of Charity handed over the management of the school to the Sisters of St Joseph. In 1986 the Sisters of St Joseph ended their 70 year leadership of the school and in 1993 the school became a fully co-educational primary school with classes from Kindergarten to Year 6. Read More
The school began in 1907 after the Missionaries of the Sacred Heart purchased a block of land facing Kensington Road and built a church-school there in 1906. The school was staffed by the Daughters of Our Lady of the Sacred Heart, who had come to Kensington in 1894. The school was blessed by Cardinal Moran on 13 January 1907 and on 21 January the school year started. The first lay principal took leadership of the school in 2002. Read More
The school was established in 1907 by the Sisters of the Good Samaritan. There were three sisters that were staffing the new school – Sr Stanislaus Callaghan (Principal), Sr Wilfred Tarlinton and Sr Bernardine Graves. Read More
Holy Cross Catholic Primary, Woollahra was founded in 1906 by the Sisters of Mercy and began teaching 30 children in the original church in 1907. The first principal was appointed in 1908, a Sister of Mercy named Sr M de Pazzi Dolan. Read More
The school was established in 1906 under the care of the Passionist Fathers whose founder was St Paul of the Cross. The primary school had 80 students and was staffed by the Sisters of St Joseph. The Sisters continued at the school until 1997 when the first lay principal was appointed. Read More
The college began in September 1901 at ‘Strathallen’ Randwick. The Brigidine Sisters were in charge of the school at the invitation of Cardinal Moran. The school was run to provide secondary schooling for day students and also boarders, with some primary students also attending the school. Read More
The school was opened in 1898 by the Sisters of St Joseph. At the time, Fr Edward Rohan was the parish priest, and on 24 July 1898, Cardinal Moran laid the foundation stone for a school-church at the corner of Trafalgar and Collins Streets. It continued under the leadership of the Sisters until 1975, when the first lay principal was appointed. Presently, the school caters for children from Kindergarten to Year 6. Read More
St Columba’s Catholic Primary School Leichhardt North began as a response to the rapid increase of the Catholic population in Leichhardt. The school was officially opened in February of 1898 by Cardinal Moran. The Sisters of St Joseph would staff the school who walked daily from a convent in Catherine Street, Leichhardt or from St Martha’s Home in Leichhardt. The St Joseph Sisters continued their almost 100 year religious leadership of St Columba’s until 1994, when the first lay principal was appointed to the school. Read More
St Mel’s was originally established as St Anthony’s Canterbury in 1895 by the Sisters of the Good Samaritan. In 1915, the school was moved from Canterbury to Campise and the school was then called St Mel’s. By 1917, the Sisters of St Joseph had established a convent onsite. They continued to lead the school until 1985, whereby Mr William (Bill) White was appointed the first lay principal at St Mel’s Campsie. Read More
The school began in 1894 by the Sisters of St Joseph. It was decided that from the beginning of 2002, St Anne would amalgamate with St Patrick’s Bondi. This new school has now been renamed Galilee Catholic Primary Bondi. Read More
St John’s school began in Queen Street, Auburn in 1893 in a recently erected church-school which was dedicated to St John of God. The growing district was then part of the parish of Rookwood (now Lidcombe). A year earlier the Sisters of Charity had come to Auburn to establish a hospital. It was fitting, then, that five Sisters of Charity made up the first staff of the new school. They would reside in the convent attached to the hospital. St John’s Catholic Primary School Auburn ensures that our rich history and this example of strong women of faith in action lives on. Colour houses and classes are named after the Sisters of Charity who are models of faith, service and resilience. Read More
St Joseph’s began in 1892 on land gifted by a German settler, Joseph Walz. The school was conducted by the Sisters of Charity who travelled each day from their convent in Hurstville. In 1892 there were 88 boys and girls enrolled in infants and primary classes, increasing to about 130 in 1900. In 1994 the first lay Principal was appointed. Today, students carry on Mary MacKillop’s vision and serve one another in Faith, Generosity and Love. Read More
Holy Cross Ryde began in 1891 by the Patrician Brothers who came to Australia from Ireland. The first pupils were four boarders and four day boys, and they were cared for by three Patrician Brothers, under the leadership of Br Andrew Dwyer. The College was intended to be a boarding school, and so in 1895 the Brothers acquired the present ten-hectare site on Victoria Road.
St Mark’s Catholic Primary School Drummoyne was opened in 1889. The first classes began in June and were taught by two local sisters Colse and Sarah Hayes. In 1894, the school was taken over by the Good Samaritans. In 1948, the Presentation Sisters (Wagga Wagga Congregation) took over the leadership of the school. In 1993 the Presentation Sisters ended their 55 year leadership of the school and in 1994 the first lay principal was appointed. Read More
Cardinal Moran laid and blessed the foundation stone on 26 February 1888. The school then opened on 2 July 1888 by the Marist Brothers at the request of the Jesuit Fathers of North Sydney. It was the fourth school that the Marist Brothers opened. Marist Catholic College North Shore opens in 2021, combining two excellent and long standing Catholic schools in the North Sydney area. The rich history and tradition of both schools shapes the new school of the future. Read More
St Mary’s Catholic Primary School Erskineville was established by the Sisters of Mercy in 1887. The school has been on its current site since 1912 and was operated under the leadership of the Sisters until 2007. The Mercy values of service, respect, compassion, justice, courage and hospitality guide our policies and practices and are embedded in our pedagogical principles. Read More
The Good Samaritan Sisters began St Brigid’s Catholic Primary School Marrickville in 1887. The Sisters would walk from Pitt Street, Sydney to Marrickville Primary School everyday just to teach the children. Today St Brigid’s is one of 152 Schools administered by Sydney Catholic Schools. It continues to serve the local community, and takes its inspiration from the Good Samaritan Benedictine tradition. Read More
St Michael’s Hurstville was founded on 26 January 1886 by the Sisters of Charity. In the 1890’s, another school, St Mary’s of the Sea, was established. In the 1920’s, St Michael’s and St Mary’s Star of the Sea schools were amalgamated under one administration. In the late 1960’s, a separate administration was introduced for the primary and secondary sections of the school and in 1933, the secondary school changed its name to Bethany College. Read More
St Fiacre’s School began in 1886 and was one of the first schools in Sydney to be staffed by the Sisters of St Joseph, who for a brief period lived in a rented cottage near the church. In May 1888 the Josephites established St Martha’s Convent in Renwick Street, Leichhardt and this then served as their base for various schools in the area. As the population grew, the parish provided a separate two-storey school building, with
Poor Clare Sisters began St Clare’s College, Waverley in 1884 at the invitation of Fr Patrick Dunne OFM, Guardian of the Franciscan Friary at Waverley. He made the request through Archbishop Vaughan, who was anxious for Religious Orders to maintain Catholic schools after government funding ended in 1883. The Sisters took over the local St Charles’ parish school, previously staffed by lay teachers.
St Francis of Assisi was opened in 1883 by the Sisters of Charity. Sr M Augustine Quinlan was the sister-in-charge, and she was
St Vincent’s Catholic Primary School Ashfield was founded by the Sisters of Charity in 1881 under the name of St Charles’ Primary School. In 1894 the school became St Vincent’s Catholic Primary School when the parish was placed in the care of the Vincentian Fathers. Read More
The Sisters of Charity established a high school in Goswell Cottage on Elizabeth Street, Ashfield on the 26 January 1881. The Sisters then moved the school in 1882 to Bland Street, Ashfield. This school was the first Catholic high school for girls in the inner western suburbs. When new buildings in 1906 were opened, Cardinal Moran recommended the school should be called ‘Bethlehem College’. At the end of 1991 the Sisters of Charity ended their 110 years of leadership of the school and, what was then the Catholic Education System Sydney, appointed Mrs Joy Short as the first lay Principal. Bethlehem College continues to flourish as an outstanding all girls Catholic school forming strong Kindergarten to Year 12 pathways with 16 feeder Catholic schools.
The school opened on 21 March 1880 in a two storey hall. The school was formerly named St James Primary Forest Lodge but is now called St James Catholic Primary School Glebe.
This school began on a parish block in George Street, Liverpool under the name of St Mary’s Girls High School in 1897. On All Saints Day, 1 November 1997, the name All Saints was given to three Catholic schools in Liverpool – the primary, junior/ secondary boys and junior/secondary girls, thus signifying their links with one another. All Saints Catholic Girls College and All Saints Catholic Boys College combined to form All Saints Catholic College.
Villa Maria was developed under three religious orders; the Sisters of St Joseph, the Marist Brothers and the Marist Sisters. However, in 1868 two local lay women who aspired to be nuns: Jenny Makinson and Emily Heydon, were the founders of the school, with only 25 students enrolled. Within two years of the school opening, a Sister of St Joseph was appointed to take charge of the school. The Josephites’ involvement ended in 1964, when all infants and primary school girls of Marist Convent, Woolwich moved to Gladesville.
St Patrick’s Catholic Primary School Kogarah was opened in 1862 and led by the Sisters of Charity and Sisters of St Joseph of the Sacred Heart for 100 years. Since 1986, St Patrick’s has been led by lay principals. Today, the school models itself on the likeness of St Patrick, our patron saint, and aspires to be a community that prays and works together, and endeavours to be the light of Christ for others.
The site of St Charles Primary Ryde was donated to the Catholic Church by Daniel and Catherine McMahon. Here, the first St Charles Church was opened in 1857 and a year later, in November 1858, the school was opened with 30 students. In 1892, the Little Company of Mary Sisters (LCM) took over St Charles School as Cardinal Moran would not allow Catholic children to go to state schools. Today the school strives to build a learning environment which supports each person to achieve their full potential.
St Bernard’s was founded in 1855 for the benefit of the Catholics of the Mascot/Botany area. The Daughters of Our Lady of the Sacred Heart Sisters ran the school with Fr Couppe MSC as first parish priest. The school opened with only 20 students.
The Sisters of St Joseph founded the school in 1885 and remained active in the school until 1984. After that time, the Sisters handed the principalship over to lay staff who have continued to uphold the traditions and spirit of Saint Mary of the Cross MacKillop and her Josephite Sisters.
The site of St Charles’ Catholic Primary School was donated to the Catholic Church by Mr John Madden, and in 1854 the Catholic primary school and church was built. The Franciscan Friars took charge of the Parish in 1879 and The Poor Clare Sisters began educating the students for the next 112 years. In 2014, the St Charles’ school community of the past and present came together to celebrate 160 years of Catholic education in the Waverley area.
St Felix began in 1853 when the area was called ‘Irishtown’. Archbishop Moran sought help from Mother Mary MacKillop, and in 1887 the Josephite Sisters took control of the school. In 1983, the Josephite Sisters ended their 80 year leadership and involvement at St Felix. The Catholic Education Office appointed Mrs Shirley Jackson as the first lay Principal of the school in this century. St Felix continues to progress as a modern, well resourced systemic school catering for boys and girls from Kindergarten to Year 6.
St Mary’s Primary School began in the first church and received government funding from the Denominational Schools Board. The school continues to run as a co-educatinoal school for students from Kindergarten to Year 6. St Mary’s Catholic Primary School Concord continues to live out the ethos of its founders through service and love and to ensure that every child is nurtured to realise their passions and strengths.