St Francis of Assisi was opened in 1883 by the Sisters of Charity. Sr M Augustine Quinlan was the sister-in-charge, and she was
assisted by a novice sister in caring for the 125 children enrolled that year. First classes were apparently held in ‘Glammis Hall’. Today, the school is a primary school for boys and girls from Kindergarten to Year 6.