The school began in 1907 after the Missionaries of the Sacred Heart purchased a block of land facing Kensington Road and built a church-school there in 1906. The school was staffed by the Daughters of Our Lady of the Sacred Heart, who had come to Kensington in 1894. The school was blessed by Cardinal Moran on 13 January 1907 and on 21 January the school year started. The first lay principal took leadership of the school in 2002.