Holy Cross Ryde began in 1891 by the Patrician Brothers who came to Australia from Ireland. The first pupils were four boarders and four day boys, and they were cared for by three Patrician Brothers, under the leadership of Br Andrew Dwyer. The College was intended to be a boarding school, and so in 1895 the Brothers acquired the present ten-hectare site on Victoria Road.
This was opened by Cardinal Moran in 1898. Holy Cross College has established a long and rich tradition of academic, cultural and sporting success. Community life in the College is imbued with the Patrician charism of welcome, hospitality, hard work and care for others.