St Fiacre’s School began in 1886 and was one of the first schools in Sydney to be staffed by the Sisters of St Joseph, who for a brief period lived in a rented cottage near the church. In May 1888 the Josephites established St Martha’s Convent in Renwick Street, Leichhardt and this then served as their base for various schools in the area. As the population grew, the parish provided a separate two-storey school building, with
the foundation stone being laid by Cardinal Moran in 1894. Linking the Josephite (Mary MacKillop), Franciscan charisms and St Fiacre, brought to the school a set of common values and a collective understanding of where we have come from, that makes us who we are today, to guide us in our direction for the future.