The Sisters of Charity established a high school in Goswell Cottage on Elizabeth Street, Ashfield on the 26 January 1881. The Sisters then moved the school in 1882 to Bland Street, Ashfield. This school was the first Catholic high school for girls in the inner western suburbs. When new buildings in 1906 were opened, Cardinal Moran recommended the school should be called ‘Bethlehem College’. At the end of 1991 the Sisters of Charity ended their 110 years of leadership of the school and, what was then the Catholic Education System Sydney, appointed Mrs Joy Short as the first lay Principal. Bethlehem College continues to flourish as an outstanding all girls Catholic school forming strong Kindergarten to Year 12 pathways with 16 feeder Catholic schools.