The site of St Charles Primary Ryde was donated to the Catholic Church by Daniel and Catherine McMahon. Here, the first St Charles Church was opened in 1857 and a year later, in November 1858, the school was opened with 30 students. In 1892, the Little Company of Mary Sisters (LCM) took over St Charles School as Cardinal Moran would not allow Catholic children to go to state schools. Today the school strives to build a learning environment which supports each person to achieve their full potential.