St Mel’s was originally established as St Anthony’s Canterbury in 1895 by the Sisters of the Good Samaritan. In 1915, the school was moved from Canterbury to Campise and the school was then called St Mel’s. By 1917, the Sisters of St Joseph had established a convent onsite. They continued to lead the school until 1985, whereby Mr William (Bill) White was appointed the first lay principal at St Mel’s Campsie.