The site of St Charles’ Catholic Primary School was donated to the Catholic Church by Mr John Madden, and in 1854 the Catholic primary school and church was built. The Franciscan Friars took charge of the Parish in 1879 and The Poor Clare Sisters began educating the students for the next 112 years. In 2014, the St Charles’ school community of the past and present came together to celebrate 160 years of Catholic education in the Waverley area.