(function(w,d,s,l,i){w[l]=w[l]||[];w[l].push({'gtm.start': new Date().getTime(),event:'gtm.js'});var f=d.getElementsByTagName(s)[0], j=d.createElement(s),dl=l!='dataLayer'?'&l='+l:'';j.async=true;j.data-privacy-src= 'https://www.googletagmanager.com/gtm.js?id='+i+dl;f.parentNode.insertBefore(j,f); })(window,document,'script','dataLayer','GTM-MF9T2HG');

About vijay

This author has not yet filled in any details.
So far vijay has created 259 blog entries.

St Josephs Primary Rozelle and St Augustine’s Primary Balmain combined to form Fr John Therry Catholic Primary School Balmain/Rozelle

Due to declining enrolments in schools St Joseph Rozelle and St Augustine Balmain, it was decided by the Catholic Education Office to amalgamate the parish schools of Balmain and Rozelle. A new school was established named in honour of the founder of Catholic Education in Australia and the parish priest associated with both Balmain and Rozelle, Fr John Therry. Today the school is a primary school for boys and girls from Kindergarten to Year 6. Read More

June 25, 1995|

Aquinas Catholic College Menai founded

Named after an eminent Doctor of the Church, Aquinas College, Menai was opened by Cardinal Edward Clancy in 1993. This was to be a secondary school for the rapidly growing residential area which had formerly belonged to the parish of Sutherland. Aquinas College opened with 50 boys and girls in Year 7, 7 teachers and 2 ancillary staff, all under the leadership of the founding principal, Mr Peter Turner. The college has continued to grow with the first Year 12 class completing their HSC in 1998. In 2020, the college had 1080 students and 112 staff. Read More

June 23, 1993|

St Mary’s High School Hurstville and St Joseph’s Girls’ High School Kogarah combine to form Bethany College Hurstville

Bethany College was founded in 1993 as a result of the amalgamation of two girls’ schools: St Mary’s Star of the Sea, Hurstville, which had been established by the Sisters of Charity in 1895, and St Joseph’s Girls’ High School, Kogarah, an old school which had been developed into a high school by the Sisters of St Joseph, who had come to Kogarah in 1914. Both schools had provided
for Years 7-10 girls. Today the school is a high school for girls from Years 7–12. Read More

March 23, 1993|

Mary MacKillop Catholic College Wakeley founded

In June 1989, the SACS Board recommended that a new secondary school for girls in Years 7-12 should be built at Wakeley on the site of an abandoned drive-in theatre. This school would eventually replace Our Lady of the Rosary High at Fairfield. In 1991, the first Year 11 girls were enrolled at Our Lady of the Rosary High, Fairfield and in June they moved to the Wakeley site, where Stage One of the buildings had just been completed. On 18 August 1991 Mary MacKillop College, Wakeley was officially opened by Cardinal Edward Clancy. Today the school is still a College for girls from Years 7–12. Read More

August 18, 1991|

Holy Cross Middle and Holy Cross Senior

The Sisters of Mercy came to Woollahra in 1907 to staff a primary school for the new Holy Cross parish. In late 1908, they also established, on the same site, an independent college known as Holy Cross College. After negotiations with Catholic educational authorities, the Sisters of Mercy agreed that Holy Cross College would become a regional secondary school in the Archdiocesan system that was developing in the late 1960’s. Due to lower enrolments, the Sydney Archdiocesan Catholic Schools Board, in June 2000, decided that the college would close at the end of 2001.

March 23, 1989|

John the Baptist Catholic Primary School Bonnyrigg founded

John the Baptist Catholic Primary School opened in 1989 with 86 children and 6 members of staff. Originally planned as a two-stream school, it soon became clear that this would be insufficient to cater for the rapid development in the Bonnyrigg area. This resulted in John the Baptist becoming a four-stream school in 2000. Today the school community recognises the presence of Christ in each person and its implication as they interact with each other. The school seeks to bring to each child a knowledge of Jesus and his teachings, endeavouring to assist each individual to love and follow him. Read More

February 23, 1989|

Holy Family Catholic Primary Menai founded

The parish priest of Sutherland, Fr Lawrence Cruikshank, and the CEO, Sydney had taken steps to establish a Catholic primary school at Menai. Holy Family Catholic School opened in January 1986 with 55 children and 3 teachers, Sr Judith Baz being the founding principal. The school was extended until it had co-educational classes from Kindergarten to Year 6. The new buildings were blessed by Cardinal Edward Clancy and opened by Mr Robert Tickner MP on 5 March 1995. Holy Family is a Catholic systemic primary school within the Archdiocese of Sydney. It is now a 4 stream school and the motto of, ‘Wisdom through Faith and Unity’, forms the basis of Holy Family’s vision and mission statements. Read More

January 9, 1986|

Freeman Catholic College Bonnyrigg Heights founded

In 1983, the Archdiocese purchased seven hectares in Bonnyrigg Heights, which would become a site for a parish church and for a regional secondary school to serve the parishes of Mt Pritchard, Horsley Park, Bonnyrigg and Bossley Park. Cardinal Freeman officially opened Stage 1 of the school on 30 June 1985. The new school began in six demountable classrooms with 105 students and 9 teachers. Today, the school is a well-resourced college with modern facilities catering for the needs of 1300 students and a teaching and support staff of 114. Read More

June 30, 1985|

St Patrick’s College Sutherland founded

St Patrick’s College Sutherland is a Catholic co-educational secondary school, operated by Sydney Catholic Schools. The Sisters of Mercy opened a school called St Patrick’s School in 1924 which would be renamed to Mary Immaculate College. The Presentation Sisters replaced the Mercy Sisters in 1950 and in 1953 the school expanded with a secondary department for girls. The Christian Brothers also founded St Patrick’s Christian Brothers’ College, in 1956 which was a school for boys in Years 7 to 12.

The year 1985 saw the first step towards the amalgamation of the two colleges, under the name of St Patrick’s College, which was one of the first to be attempted in the Archdiocese of Sydney, and was a long, challenging process which took until 1992 to complete. Mrs Dianne Kennedy was appointed the first lay principal in 1994 and today the college educates their students by promoting the quality of learning, fidelity to the Gospel, academic excellence and an orientation to the service of young people and their families. Read More

May 3, 1985|

Mary Immaculate Catholic Primary School Bossley Park founded

In 1984, Archbishop Edward Clancy gave permission for a school to be built. Mary Immaculate School opened in temporary buildings in 1985, with an enrolment of 77 children. Planning and development of Mary Immaculate School was carried out by school and parish authorities in conjunction with the CEO, Sydney. The first building was blessed and opened by Archbishop Clancy on 14 December 1986. Today, the school remains an integral agent in fostering faith and Catholic values in a diverse community. Read More

January 23, 1985|

Sacred Heart Primary and Marist Brothers North Shore combine to form Sacred Heart Primary School Mosman

Sacred Heart Primary School was founded in 1983 through the amalgamation of two long-established schools. Sacred Heart Primary and Marist Brothers North Shore amalgamated in 1983 to form Marist Sacred Heart Mosman, which began with more than 300 pupils and a staff of 11 lay teachers. The present parish priest at Sacred Heart Mosman is Fr Phil Linder, who was educated at Marist Brothers Primary and High School in Mosman and brings much of this experience, memories and shared history to our school. Read More

April 23, 1983|

Archbishop Edward Cardinal Clancy appointed Archbishop of Sydney

Edward Bede Clancy was born in Lithgow on 13 December 1923. On 15 November 1973, Pope Paul VI appointed him Titular Bishop of Ard Carna and auxiliary to Cardinal Freeman. His Episcopal Ordination took place in St Mary’s Cathedral on 19 January 1974. On 24 November 1978, Pope John Paul II appointed Bishop Clancy to the Archdiocese of Canberra and Goulburn. On 22 February 1983, Pope John Paul II announced Archbishop Clancy’s appointment as seventh Archbishop of Sydney, in succession to retiring Cardinal Sir James Freeman. On 26 March 2001 Cardinal Clancy’s resignation was accepted by Pope John Paul II, having exceeded the age limit of 75 years, with his retirement from office taking effect on 10 May 2001. Read More

February 22, 1983|

Marion Catholic Primary School Horsley Park founded

Marion Catholic Primary School was established in the parish of Our Lady of Victories after many requests from parishioners who had to send their children to neighbouring parish schools in Smithfield and Rooty Hill. The school’s first principal was Sr Catherine O’Brien from the Sisters of Charity. On the first day of school in February 1982, 48 students arrived with their parents, comprising of 24 in Kindergarten and 24 in Year 1. By 1987, Marion was a complete primary school, with classes from Kindergarten to Year 6. Today, the school is a Kindergarten to Year 6 school for boys and girls and encourages the community to live a life of service, engaging in a range of social justice initiatives. Read More

March 23, 1982|

St Brigid’s College and De La Salle College combine to form Casimir Catholic College Marrickville

Casimir Catholic College is named after the great builder of the Marrickville parish, Fr Casimir Maguire, who was parish priest from 1917 to 1949. After the completion of the magnificent Church of St Brigid in 1930, Fr Casimir set about the construction of the school buildings which serve as the major classroom blocks of the present high school. St Brigid’s School was originally established by the Sisters of The Good Samaritan. Then in 1938 a second building was completed which became the site of De La Salle College. The two schools existed side by side until 1981, when a decision was made to amalgamate the schools into a new co-educational Year 7 to 12 college. In 1983, the new school was born and was named Casimir Catholic College. The college continues today to serve the needs of the diverse multicultural community centred in the Marrickville area. Read More

February 23, 1982|

St Mary’s Catholic Primary School Georges Hall founded

The first two stages of the school were built in 1978 and 1980, at a total cost of $400,000. It was officially opened on 25 March 1979 by the Premier, Mr Neville Wran, and was blessed by the Archbishop, Sir James Cardinal Freeman. Until 1985, it was known as Queen of Heaven Catholic School. The first staff was Sr Edwardine O’Connell (Principal) and a small group of lay teachers. From its beginning St Mary’s School has been part of the system of parish primary schools administered by the CEO, Sydney, which has the responsibility of appointing principals. The school is still a Kindergarten to Year 6 school for boys and girls. Read More

March 25, 1979|

St Mary’s Primary Maroubra Bay and St Joseph’s Primary Maroubra Beach are renamed St Mary-St Joseph Primary, with two campuses

In its present form St Mary- St Joseph School began in 1979 as an amalgamation of two earlier schools: St Mary’s, Maroubra Bay and St Joseph’s, Maroubra Beach, both founded in 1951. They themselves were built to replace an earlier school, St Peter Claver’s in Bellevue Street, which started in 1935 and enrolled girls from Kindergarten to Intermediate and boys to Year 2. It was closed and sold by 1953. St Mary-St Joseph remains a systemic primary school and caters for boys and girls from Kindergarten to Year 6. Read More

March 23, 1979|
Go to Top