St Ursula’s College opened in 1957 with 56 girls in first year classes with buildings still to be completed. The school was run by the Ursuline Sisters. The first principal was Sr Ursula Sheehan, and she was assisted by another Sister and a lay teacher of
languages. Classes were added each year, and by 1961 the college had its first Leaving Certificate class. St Ursula’s College is a Year 7–12 school for girls.