St Jerome’s Punchbowl began in 1933 when Punchbowl was part of the parish of Bankstown. A church-school was built at Punchbowl in 1933, with the support of a local Catholic Committee, and this building served as the school until 1949. Fr Eris O’Brien, parish priest of Bankstown, arranged for the Sisters of St Joseph, who had a convent and school at Bankstown, to staff St Jerome’s. The first principal was Sr Grace Murphy, and the first term saw an average attendance of 129 primary school boys and girls. Today, St Jerome’s is a modern centre of learning which continues to operate within the Archdiocese of Sydney administered by Sydney Catholic Schools.