Ashbury parish was established in 1929 by Fr Edward McMahon who asked the Ursuline Sisters to start a school. Led by Mother Veronica Purcell, St Francis Xavier Primary School Ashbury began on 4 February 1930. First day numbers are unknown, however, by 1931, 191 students were enrolled. The building where the school was located would turn into a church on the weekends. St Francis Xavier’s remains a systemic primary school and in 2020 celebrated 90 years of Catholic Education. In 2021, the school will also be celebrating 200 Years of Catholic Education in Australia.