In 1935, the Sisters of Mercy (Parramatta Congregation) established Our Lady of Mercy College (OLMC) in a cottage at 6 Coast Avenue, Cronulla. The small boarding school continued until 1939, when it was temporarily closed down because it was perceived to be in a dangerous location with the outbreak of World War II. The school was re-opened by 1943 and was providing secondary education for girls, since there were no Catholic all girls secondary schools between Hurstville and Wollongong. Today the College continues to be guided by the legacy of the Mercy heritage and is enriched by the Mercy values of Excellence, Hospitality, Justice, Stewardship, Service, Compassion and Dignity.