Need a ‘brain break’ or just some inspo to get moving in lockdown?
Our Lady of the Sacred Heart Catholic Primary School Randwick PDHPE teacher and wellbeing coordinator, Ry Kato, has you covered.
Mr Kato’s 10-minute daily family exercise and daily challenge videos were so popular during the 2020 COVID-19 lockdown that he had to bring them back.
He’s made the videos available to his entire school community via Google classroom.
“My hope is that these videos can provide some sort of benefit to my students and families, physically and mentally,” Mr Kato said.
“Exercise and physical activity are the key to feeling good”
“The main aim of the videos is to get the students active, especially after potentially hours without moving while doing their remote learning,” Mr Kato said.
“The response to the videos and challenges has been great. Many students and parents have let me know that they are enjoying them as a family.”
JOIN THE FUN
Reap the benefits of Mr Kato’s lessons with these simple exercises to get your blood and oxygen flowing:
1. Breathing exercises. Breathe in through your nose, hold for 3 seconds then breathe out through your mouth. Repeat 10 times.
2. Neck circles. Make 10 big, slow circles with your head clockwise, then 10 slow circles anticlockwise
3. Floor to roof. Touch the floor with both hands, then slowly reach as high as you can to the roof. Hold for 5 seconds, then repeat.
4. Swimming strokes. While sitting, do 15 seconds of freestyle, backstroke, breastroke, butterfly – and then repeat.
5. Ankle rolls/calf raises. Keep your toes on the floor while rolling your ankles around them in circles.
6. Squat holds. Stand up, then squat down (like you’re sitting on an imaginary chair) and hold that position for 10 seconds. Repeat.