The school was opened in 1951 with an enrolment of 40 children and was conducted by the Sisters of Mercy (Parramatta Congregation). The first classrooms were in the church of St Therese, which served as a school during the week. In 1952, a new church-school was built. In 1974, the parish farewelled the Sisters of Mercy and appointed the first lay principal. Another change in the late 1980’s was the provision of primary school for boys to Year 6. St Therese continues to be a systemic parish school providing education for boys and girls from Kindergarten to Year 6.