3.1 Personal information of students and parents/carers
SCS collects and holds personal information, including health and other sensitive information about students and parents/carers before, during and after the period of a student’s enrolment at a school, including:
• name, contact details (including next of kin), date of birth, gender, language background, previous school and religion
• parents’/carers’ education, occupation and language background
• medical information (e.g. details of a disability and/or allergies, absence notes, medical reports and names of health professionals)
• conduct and complaint records, or other behaviour notes and school reports
• information about referrals to government welfare agencies
• counselling reports
• health fund details and Medicare numbers
• any court orders such as parenting orders and Apprehended Domestic Violence Orders (ADVOs)• volunteering information
• photos and videos at school events.
3.2 Personal information of job applicants, staff members, volunteers and contractors
SCS collects and holds personal information, including health and other sensitive information, about job applicants, staff members, volunteers and contractors, including:
• name, contact details (including next of kin), date of birth and religion
• information on job application
• professional development history
• salary and payment information, including superannuation details
• medical information (e.g. details of disability and/or allergies, medical reports and medical certificates)
• complaint records and investigation reports
• leave details
• photos and videos at school events
• technical or metadata fields (e.g. IP addresses, device identifiers for every device on the SCS ICT network) that can reasonably identify an individual
• emails sent or received using a SCS email account or SCS service, internet browsing history and all activity on SCS ICT resources.
• workplace surveillance information collected in accordance with the SCS Workplace Surveillance Policy.
3.3 Personal information of others who come into contact with SCS
SCS collects and holds personal information, including health and other sensitive information about other people who come into contact with SCS or a school, including name and contact details and any other information necessary for the particular contact with SCS.
3.4 How personal information is collected by SCS
SCS will generally collect personal information held about an individual through paper or electronic forms filled out by parents/carers or students, face-to-face meetings and interviews, emails and telephone calls.
On applying to enroll a student, parents/carers provide permission for schools to obtain information from third parties including other schools. For example, SCS may obtain a report provided by a medical professional or a reference from another school. Detailed information about personal information SCS collects is set out in the Standard Collection Notice that is attached to the application to enroll.
3.5 Exception in relation to employee records
Under the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth) (the Privacy Act) and Health Records and Information Privacy Act 2002 (NSW) ( the Health Records Act), the Australian Privacy Principles and Health Privacy Principles do not apply to an employee record. As a result, this Policy does not apply to SCS’ treatment of an employee’s record, where the treatment is directly related to a current or former employment relationship between SCS and the employee. However, as a matter of best
practice, SCS respects the privacy of its employees and the importance of keeping their personal information confidential.
3.6 Issue of Collection Notices
SCS will issue the applicable information collection notices in the following circumstances:
• Standard Collection Notice – issued to parents/carers and students upon enrolment
• Alumni Collection Notice – issued to former students and their parents/carers
• Employment Collection Notice – issued to employees or prospective employees applying for employment with SCS Schools
• Vocational Education and Training Privacy Notice and Student Declaration – issued to parents/carers and secondary students undertaking Vocational Education and Training (VET) courses
• Contractor/Volunteer Collection Notice – issued to contractors/volunteers when offering, applying or agreeing to provide services to SCS Schools