St Ambrose School began in 1924 as the third Catholic school within the parish of Concord. The Sisters of Charity were already conducting schools at Concord and Mortlake, and so it was natural that the parish priest, Fr T Barlow, invited them to staff the new school at Concord West. Two Sisters began teaching the small primary school in the parish hall. Classes for girls were offered from Kindergarten to Sixth Class and for boys from Kindergarten to Third Class, although the majority of boys moved to a Brothers’ school for Third Class. Ambrose remains a systemic parish school, co-educational from Kindergarten to Year 6.