In a hut in 1952, the Mt Pritchard Catholic school was opened – it was then known as St Peter’s. Staffing the school were two Sisters of Charity: Sr M Le Merci Walsh (Principal) and Sr M Brendan O’Flaherty. The first day, only one child turned up. Her name was Louise Watling; they decided to send her home. The next day two turned up, and so they opened. By 1963, the name of the parish and the school had been changed to Our Lady of Mt Carmel Catholic Primary School Mt Pritchard. Today the school is co-educational from Kindergarten to Year 6.