Education in the Josephite tradition of Blessed Mary MacKillop was the ideal of the new secondary school for girls opened at Milperra in 1960. The Sisters of St Joseph were already educating children in nearby Revesby and Panania. The parish priests of Revesby and Panania, Fr Patrick Carr and Fr Patrick Landers, were eager for a secondary school in the area. Preparatory building took place in 1959 and included three classrooms, offices, a staffroom, a music room and a canteen. Mount St Joseph began on 2 February 1960, with 123 girls in First Year (Year 7). The school became a congregational junior high school with classes only reaching up to Year 10. Senior students would then be transferred to Nazareth College in Milperra. In the 1990’s, the Josephites and the CEO Sydney decided to extend the college to Years 7–12. This did not take place until 1999–2000. Today the school is a systemic school for girls in Years 7–12.