St Michael’s began in 1922, the year of the establishment of the parish (then called Longueville). The parish priest, Fr Hugh McGuire, arranged for the Sisters of Mercy (North Sydney Congregation) to run the school. Details of the early years are scant. It seems that the first school was a church-school in Dorritt Street, on the site of the present St Michael’s Church. The first principal was Sr Evangelist. Today the school remains a Kindergarten to Year 6 school for boys and girls.