Sydney Catholic Schools offer unique eduational opportunities for our students.
Sydney Catholic Schools has introduced a new comprehensive music education program designed to promote excellence in teaching and learning in 13 of our schools in the south-west Sydney area.
Decades of research shows that learning an instrument and playing in a musical ensemble strengthens neural pathways in the brain and can:
- significantly improve student academic success in areas including language and mathematical development; and
- significantly improve student engagement, short- and long-term memory, attention, self-discipline, and coordination.
What is involved?
The Amadeus Music Education Program will offer:
- Classroom music lessons led by a specialist music teacher (Kindergarten to Year 8);
- Small group student instrumental tuition (Years 3-7); and
- Student instrumental ensemble lessons (Years 3-7).
Students will be provided with a classical musical instrument, starting with a string instrument in Year 3.
Schools offering the program:
- Trinity Catholic College Auburn
- St John’s Catholic Primary School Auburn
- St Joseph the Worker Catholic Primary School Auburn South
- St Michael’s Catholic Primary School Belfield
- St Joseph’s Catholic Primary School Belmore
- St Mel’s Catholic Primary School Campsie
- St John Vianney Catholic Primary School Greenacre
- Holy Spirit Catholic College Lakemba
- St Therese’s Catholic Primary School Lakemba
- St Joachim’s Catholic Primary School Lidcombe
- St Jerome’s Catholic Primary School Punchbowl
- St Peter Chanel Catholic Primary School Regents Park
- Immaculate Heart of Mary Catholic Primary School Sefton
Sydney Catholic secondary schools offer combined classes for students to study Dance, Drama, Music 1, Music 2 and Music Extension Higher School Certificate (HSC) courses through the ViVA! performing arts program. The program includes weekly face-to-face workshops with an experienced teacher at Southern Cross Catholic College Burwood, where students complete practical components of their chosen course and online theory modules to be completed at school or at home.
The SCS Japanese Centre of Excellence was established as a Kindergarten to Year 12 site for the specialist delivery of Japanese, face-to-face and online. The centre provides experiences of learning to engage, challenge, extend and empower students through alignment with the principles of Authentic Learning. The centre is a means of enlivening and enriching Japanese language learning and fostering the growth of Japanese across Sydney Catholic Schools.
The SCS Japanese Centre of Excellence has been established as a school precinct centre at Marrickville. The precinct includes St Brigid’s Catholic Primary School and Casimir Catholic College.
STEM education is a cross-disciplinary approach to the learning and application of Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics outcomes, to solve real-world problems. STEM education in Sydney Catholic Schools inspires hope and a positive vision for the future. We are called to respond and to adopt new ways of living.
Sydney Catholic Schools facilitates online learning opportunities for students in small candidature classes in the HSC and some Vocational Education and Training (VET) courses. With its partnerships with other dioceses in NSW, SCS schools is broadening its offerings across a range of courses in languages, Mathematics Extension, Aboriginal Education and Science Extension.