Sydney Catholic Schools has a demonstrably strong commitment to the support of students with learning and wellbeing needs, and the fostering of evidence-based practice in education.
The Arrowsmith Program has been implemented by Sydney Catholic Schools since 2013. We currently offer the program in the following Schools:
- Casimir College Marrickville for students in Year 7 to Year 12
- Holy Innocents’ Catholic Primary School, Croydon for students in Year 2 to Year 6
- Sacred Heart Catholic Primary School, Mosman for students in Year 2 to Year 6
- Eileen O’Connor Catholic College, Lewisham for students in Year 2 to Year 12 (An After School Program run two afternoons a week from 4:00pm to 6:30pm).
The Arrowsmith Program is founded on neuroscience research of over 35 years. The program demonstrates that it is possible for students to strengthen weak cognitive capacities underlying their learning dysfunctions. This is facilitated through a program of specific cognitive exercises.
The Arrowsmith Program aims to identify, intervene and strengthen these weak cognitive capacities and empower the student to engage in classroom learning.
The Arrowsmith Program has proven effective for students having difficulty with reading, writing, mathematics, comprehension, logical reasoning, problem solving, visual and auditory memory, non-verbal learning, attention, processing speed and dyslexia.
Students selected for Sydney Catholic Schools’ Arrowsmith Program will:
- Be between Year 2 and Year 12 when they first commence the program
- Be of average to above average intelligence documented through an educational psychological assessment such as a WISC IV or WIAT II
- Be identified as having a combination of the learning dysfunctions described by the Arrowsmith Program cognitive profile questionnaire
- Not be diagnosed as having intellectual, emotional, mental or behavioural disorders that would significantly affect his/ her ability to participate in the Arrowsmith Program or relate to his/ her peer group and teacher
- Not be identified as having a brain injury
A student’s eligibility to participate in the Arrowsmith Program will be determined by the participating School Principal, in conjunction with Sydney Catholic Schools’ Arrowsmith Coordinator. The selection decisions of the team are final.
For further information on the Arrowsmith Program please visit: www.arrowsmithschool.org
We are currently accepting applications for the Arrowsmith Program at Holy Innocents’ Croydon, Casimir College and the Part-Time Program at Eileen O’Connor Catholic College, Lewisham. If you are interested in exploring Arrowsmith for your child in 2017 please complete the form below and or contact our Arrowsmith Co-ordinator, Mrs Mary-Anne Thorne on 0424521032 or email@example.com
We are accepting applications for the Arrowsmith Program at Holy Innocents’ Croydon, Casimir College, Marrickville and the Part-Time Program at Eileen O’Connor Catholic College, Lewisham. Please register your interest for this program below.