APPLICATIONS CLOSE 16 JUNE 2019
Are you ready to start your teaching career?
Will you be in your final year of your teacher education degree in 2020?
Sydney Catholic Schools (SCS) is offering an exciting opportunity to begin your teaching career. We are looking a number of quality career-driven pre-service teacher education students to join our Internship Program next year.
Get a head start on your teaching journey and learn from on the job classroom and teaching experiences where you will have an opportunity to develop your professional knowledge, practice and engagement.
Sydney Catholic Schools is offering 10 Internships commencing in the 2020 school year (late January).
The following Internships are offered:
- Secondary Mathematics
- Secondary Science particularly Physics and/or Chemistry
- Primary, with a focus on Mathematics
- As an Intern you will be employed and paid as a member of staff, 2 days per week (0.4 FTE) including paid leave during school holidays and sick leave in accordance with your part-time status
- On successful completion, you will be provided with a permanent teaching position within one of our Sydney Catholic Schools
- On successful completion of the internship and degree, you will be reimbursed the cost of 6 subject fees (in agreement to working in SCS for a minimum of three years)
- You will actively develop your teaching readiness in a supportive professional work environment (including personalised mentoring)
- be supportive of the ethos and values of Catholic education as expressed in the Principles of Employment In Sydney Catholic Schools
- be in the final year of your Teacher Education course in 2020
- have a strong academic record in Secondary Mathematics and/or Secondary Science (Physics and/or Chemistry) teaching OR
- have a strong academic record in Primary Mathematics.
How Do I Apply?
All applicants are required to complete a Teacher Capability Assessment (TCAT) which is administered by the University of Melbourne and provide requested documents. If you would like to apply, a thorough recruitment process will include:
- Submission of a Curriculum Vitae (Resume/CV)
- Provide certified copies of academic transcripts and HSC results
- Preparation and submission of a short video
- Attend a face to face panel interview
WHEN WILL I BE CONTACTED ABOUT THE INTERVIEW DATES/TIMES?
If you are selected for an interview, you will be contacted by a member of the Recruitment team to schedule an interview date and time. Please ensure your contact details are correct.
You are required to attend a face to face panel interview to be eligible for the Sydney Catholic Schools Internship Program.
If you are selected for Sydney Catholic Schools Internship Program you will need to complete an Application for Registration to Teach in Sydney Catholic Schools which includes a NSW Working with Children’s Check.
WHEN WILL THE INTERVIEWS BE HELD?
Sydney Catholic Schools will conduct the interview process in early August 2019.
Note – If you cannot attend interviews during this time you will not be eligible for the Sydney Catholic Schools Internship Program.
WHERE WILL THE INTERVIEWS TAKE PLACE?
Interviews will be held at Sydney Catholic Schools Central Office, 38 Renwick Street, Leichhardt, NSW.
Should you have any questions about this program, please contact the Recruitment and Engagement team via email@example.com
“Joining the internship program at SCS a has been a great opportunity. I have learned a lot and it has really helped with my courses and practicums at the university. I have received ongoing support and help from my mentor, school staff and SCS officers in both personal and professional ways. In every lesson that I have taught, my mentor has always given me encouraging advice and feedback so I could improve my practice. The internship also offered generous remuneration. I strongly recommend applying for this internship! It is a great start to your teaching career!”
Ah Young Koo
“My experience in the Internship Program has been invaluable to my future success in the classroom. The program has given me an excellent and practical opportunity to apply what I have studied in my degree into actually working in a classroom and being part of a school staff. I have received immense support from my teacher mentor and other experienced teachers at the school. Overall, the time I have had in the program was challenging but at the same time tremendously rewarding. I would strongly recommend the Internship Program to any new scheme teachers who are seeking hands-on experience as the first stepping stone for their career”.
Le Giang Tran
“I was awarded an Internship with Sydney Catholic Schools for the duration of 2016. There are countless benefits to this Internship in terms of furthering my professional development as a teacher. In working alongside a SCS appointed Mentor, I have been able to gain experience in not only the teaching of students but in the role as a professional staff member within my appointed school. Being accepted as a staff member has given me the confidence to develop professional relationships with all members of the school environment, particularly that of parents / careers. I would like to thank SCS for providing me with this invaluable opportunity in developing my skills, experience and confidence during this Internship. I am extremely grateful for these skills which will prove to be highly beneficial not only next year, but throughout my career as a teacher”.