Below is a summary of the key leadership groups within the Sydney Catholic Schools:
The Sydney Archdiocesan Catholic Schools (SACS) Board was established by the Archbishop of Sydney to advise and assist him in educational matters pertaining to the Catholic schools in the Archdiocese of Sydney. It provides leadership and overall direction to ensure the existence of “an effective system of education at all levels which contributes to the total educational needs of young people in Catholic schools.” (‘The Catholic School’, Rome, 1977, p 9)
The SACS Board makes major policy decisions, approves the income and expenditure budget, and holds the CEO accountable for the management of the school system.
The members of the Board and its Committees are appointed by the Archbishop of Sydney, and come from all sections of the Catholic community. It meets monthly.
SACS Board Members
- Rev Michael McLean (Chairman): Education Vicar, Parish Priest, St Mark’s Drummoyne
- Dr Dan White (Executive Officer): Executive Director Sydney Catholic Schools
- Mr Michael Austin: Director, CatholicCare (Wollongong)
- Mr Anthony Cleary: Director of Religious Education and Evangelisation
- Mr Anthony Farley: Director, CCER
- Mrs Anne-Marie Foord: Parent, Legal Counsel NSW Law Society
- Ms Caroline Bosch: Parent, Policy and HR Director, Honeywell Australasia
- Prof Marea Nicholson: Associate Vice Chancellor, ACU
- Dr Mark Turkington: Regional Director, Southern Region
- Michael Digges: Archdiocesan Business Manager
- Ms Linda Carseldine: CFO – CGI Australia
- Rev Martin Maunsell: Parish Priest, St. Kevin’s, Eastwood
- Mrs Anna Dickinson: Principal, Loreto, Kirribilli
- Mr Peter Ireland: Head: Governance and Policy
The Executive Director of Sydney Catholic Schools has responsibility for the day-to-day operation of the Archdiocese’s 150 schools and Catholic Education Office. The Executive Director is responsible to the Archbishop of Sydney. Dr Dan White was appointed to this role in 2009 after the retirement of Br Kelvin Canavan fms who served in the position for 22 years.
The Sydney Catholic Schools Leadership Team is made of the Directors from the Central Office at Leichhardt, the three Regional Offices (Southern, Eastern and Inner Western), and a small number of other senior CEO personnel. It meets regularly and makes decisions on important policies and initiatives. It is chaired by the Executive Director of Sydney Catholic Schools and reports to the SACS Board.
Sydney Catholic Schools has eight Directors. Each Director has responsibility for specific area of operation. The seven directorates are:
- Office of the Executive Director
- Religious Education and Evangelisation
- Teaching and Learning
- Human Resources
- Financial, Corporate and ICT Services
- Southern Region
- Eastern Region
- Inner Western Region
Directors are responsible to the Executive Director of Catholic Schools.
Regional Consultants provide mentorship and support to school Principals. Each Consultant manages a cluster of schools within his/her region. Regional Consultants are responsible to their Regional Director.
School Principals have charge of the day-to-day operations at their school. They provide leadership, mentorship and support to students and staff, and have overall responsibility for the school’s teaching and learning, as well as the school’s many other programs. Principals are responsible to their Regional Director through their Regional Consultant.
Heads of Department within Sydney Catholic Schools manage a specific area of the system’s operation. Each Head of Department is responsible to their particular Director.