The Executive Director of Catholic Schools invites applications for the following position: Senior Journalist
- Competitive salary, including NFP salary packaging and super
- Office located in Leichhardt
- Closing date: 31 January 2018
- 12 month contract
Reporting to the Head of Public Affairs and Media, the Senior Journalist is responsible for crisis communications management, media engagement, government relations, information management, publishing, editing and journalism.
The core objective is the enhancement of the reputation of the SCS brand as well as the reputation of each of its 152 schools.
Some key responsibilities:
- Promoting the vision and mission, formally and informally, in day-to-day tasks and responsibilities
- Generating stories and copy that enhance the reputation of the SCS, as well as the reputation of individual schools, in the wider community
- Fostering and providing opportunities for staff spirituality and prayer
- Providing direction and advice to the Head: Public Affairs and Media on the development and implementation of the whole-of-organisation strategic plan, particularly in the area of strategic and operational communication
- Ensuring that SCS’s approach to all aspects of internal and external communications is aligned to the Team’s Annual Improvement Plan as reflected in New Horizons: Inspiring spirits and minds
- Having overall responsibility for the building of successful relationships with media organisations so that the good news stories arising out of Sydney Catholic schools or its system initiatives are positively represented in the media.
- Working with digital communications specialists, a journalist, proof-reader, a projects officer, photographer and bookshop administrator to ensure the consistent delivery of high-quality communications to all stakeholders
- Developing and implementing highly strategic government and media relations protocols and processes
- Developing and managing communications plans for key system projects
- Developing and nurturing strong relationships with internal stakeholders as well as external agencies (e.g. media outlets, media monitoring agencies, government representatives and research agencies)
- Establishing and regularly reviewing processes to ensure that communications plans and projects (e.g. websites, digital portals, social media accounts, About Catholic Schools magazine etc) are of high-quality and meet the needs of clients
The successful candidate will have:
- Tertiary qualification in Communications
- Proven experience in significant and strategic communications projects (internal and external) in a medium/large organization
- Proven track record in high-stakes communications and external relations (including crisis communications and government and media relations)
- Experience in a communications role as a senior journalist or public relations specialist and/or editor
- Experience in using contemporary research and strategic thinking in the implementation of communications plans and processes.
- Proven record in successfully planning, implementing and reviewing communications campaigns
- Significant experience in operating in both traditional and digital media platforms
- Outstanding interpersonal and communication skills (oral and written)
- Strong relational and team-building skills
- An understanding of how to develop and implement successful communication strategies and plans.
- An understanding of the education environment, as well as the mission of Catholic education
- Capacity to manage a range of complex communications projects and tasks while staying focused on the organisation’s key goals and its strategic vision
- Able to apply creative, contemporary thinking in a process-orientated environment
- Previous experience working in an Education environment
- Knowledge of the Catholic School system and faith
Applicants must formalise their application by submitting a completed SCS Application Form, resume and a covering letter addressing the selection criteria to firstname.lastname@example.org
WORKING WITH CHILDREN CLEARANCE
This role is classified as a child related work and therefore we require a working with children clearance to be completed prior to your commencement with us.
Celebrating Being Catholic in Australia
Ensuring Quality Teaching and Learning
Making a Difference in our World
NOTE – Shortlisted candidates will be contacted after the closing date