The Executive Director of Sydney Catholic Schools invites applications from suitably qualified and experienced personnel for the following position:
Commencement Date: Immediate Commencement
Closing Date: 26 June 2017
Sydney Catholic Schools (SCS) is responsible for the leadership of 152 Catholic primary and secondary schools across the Archdiocese of Sydney, educating over 70,000 students. SCS office staff provide assistance, advice and operational support to our schools, which includes monitoring and promoting compliance with relevant laws; undertaking investigations and government reporting activities; negotiating and securing commercial agreements and using legal information and analysis to inform decision-making.
Due to an internal transfer, SCS is currently seeking a qualified lawyer. Reporting to the Legal Team Leader, you will have knowledge or the aptitude and skill to acquire knowledge necessary to provide support to the team across the range of legal areas that apply in an educational setting. These include employment and industrial relations, commercial, real property, discrimination, child protection, personal injury, family law and work, health & safety. You will be able to provide practical, timely and solutions – focussed legal assistance. You will undertake education and liaison activities with others throughout SCS, You will assist in reviewing policies and procedures and drafting correspondence and guidelines. You will assist in running litigation matters on behalf of SCS.
Some of the role responsibilities include:
- Under supervision of the Legal Team Leader, give accurate and timely in-house legal advice in a range of legal areas
- Assist the Legal team to respond to day-to-day enquiries from schools in relation to staff and student matters
- Assist the Legal Team Leader to respond strategically to legal complaints and claims against SCS including assistance with litigation matters in the Fair Work Commission, the Australian Human Rights Commission, the Federal Court and Federal Circuit Court
- Provide the Legal team with assistance in reviewing SCS internal policies and contracts to ensure legal compliance
- Assist in researching and analysing the different legal risk factors arising from business decisions and operations and offering proactive advice on potential legal risk
- Communicate and negotiate professionally with external parties including regulators, contractors, external counsel, external legal service providers
- Under supervision, assist the Legal team with drafting, reviewing and amending commercial contracts, agreements, deeds, licences, leases and other legal documents
- Maintain and communicate current knowledge of changes in legislation relevant to SCS.
ESSENTIAL SELECTION CRITERIA
- You will be admitted as a legal practitioner in NSW with at least between 2 – 5 years’ PQE
- You will have demonstrated skill and experience in providing legal advice ideally with experience in case management of litigious matters in a complex, high volume legal practice
- You will have excellent legal research and analytical skills in a legal and/or legal policy environment
- You will have superior communication and negotiation, presentation and/or advocacy skills, including a proven ability to write clear and accurate briefings
- You will have the capacity and willingness to work as part of a small team in a diverse practice that provides both immediate on-call legal advice as well as detailed complex written legal advice
- You will have access to sensitive, privileged and confidential information and are therefore required to have knowledge of your professional obligations as a solicitor in NSW as well as a high level of professional ethics and integrity
- You will demonstrate an understanding that SCS operates within the context of the Catholic Church’s mission to evangelise and therefore to provide education in a manner consistent with the Vision and Mission Statements for Catholic schools.
DESIRED SELECTION CRITERIA
- Previous experience working in an Education environment
- Knowledge of the Catholic School system
To apply, submit your resume and cover letter to email@example.com.
WORKING WITH CHILDREN CLEARANCE
This role is classified as child related work and therefore SCS requires you to hold a working with children clearance to be completed prior to your commencement with us.